Some of you come here everytime I publish an article (Thank you! ), and maybe you’ve heard about Parkuik. I’ve been talking about it in previous posts due to tecnology used in this project was what inspired me about writing those articles.
But today, I’m going to talk you about the first month (aprox.) since Parkuik was deployed. So, I will just talk about numbers about how I create this social-participative-network, and how I managed to build it only in my spare time.
For those who doesn’t know anything about Parkuik…. It’s a social network where all of us will go (or at least It’s what I expect) to find parking spots in places that we don’t know. It’ll be a great community effort because all of us will add, comment or add parkings. If this grows enought… We all will visit parkuik before going to some unknown-place…. and later, we could use it on android phones too.
I thought about this idea almost 6 months ago, but It didn’t become real inmediately. I started developing Parkuik 4 months ago. I’ve just learned a few months ago “how to build” dynamic websites (Until this moment, I’ve just developed Android and desktop apps) and I wanted to learn more about something called Node.js.
For those interested on technologies used:
- Node.js on the server side
- Client side frameworks: jquery, backbone.js
- Lingua for i18n (server side)
- It’s deployed on Heroku cloud
- It’ll have Android & iOS app
- Developed by…. me, a one-person team
Right now the numbers are pretty bad. I’ve just added 70-80 parking spots (mostly in Málaga, Spain), and just 98 people are registered. Of course it’s a really bad number, but hey! I’ve not made it public and some of you are interested on it so…. that’s not pretty bad.
Here you can see some analytics data:
The day Parkuik got more users was the day Betalist published it. That was a three day gap with really good results: 94-113-78 users.
After that, I published it on others website but I couldn’t get the same results.
On October 16, I opened the website for those who were registered at that moment (96 users). I sent an email, which was…. really poor…. I didn’t have time to write/design a good one so I just sent a poor plain/text email. Result, only 41 people visit Parkuik this day.
So, the official numbers are very poor:
- Visits: 780
- Unique Visitors: 418
- Pageviews: 3,835
- Pages / Visit: 4.92
As you can read, It’s been very difficult to attract people and make them use it. Of course, I hope this will change when it’s completely open because I’m doing some SEO work that, I hope, will get Parkuik much higher.
How can I monetize this? Well, I’m not searching for that. Right now I’ve just spent time and some money… domain, logo design, etc. It’ll be great to earn just enough money to pay server and domain costs. I’m using adsense right now, but I cannot tell you if It’s going well, because right now it’s a private beta so… just a few are entering and not clicking at all.
For future releases I will try to use Meerkat which seems to fit my needs.
Plans for the future? Of course! Millions of plans:
- This wouldn’t make any sense if there’s no Android or iOS app. Next step is going this way…. but before a lot of work has to be done.
- Better UI/UX experience… As I’ve told… that’s almost my first website launcged…. so it needs a great and strong redesign. I’ll try to make it on my own…. but if you know somebody interested… Just contact me =)
- Make an open API. Yes! I think that’s one of the greatest thing that Parkuik could give to the community.
- Open source some widgets that are being used, like List paginator. It’s done with backbone and maybe someone could find it useful.
- And I want to listen all your opions and thoughts about Parkuik to make it better!
What have I done wrong?
- It is my first big web-project, so I’ve been too impatient presenting it to the world. Althought the idea is good (or at least that’s what some of you have told me), the execution at the moment I introduced it was really bad.
- I launched it to soon…. without a good design
- The email I sent was really bad and again… with no good design. Just a few of you came back to Parkuik to see how it was.
- I need more promotion. I’m searching for good ways to promote it and I have found some that may be the solution. If you know something I may do, just tell me =).
Why do I write this article? I want you to know Parkuik, but most important: I want you to tell me what I’ve made wrong and what you’ll do to improve. I’m willing to hear your opinions and ideas.